My contact is due to end on Friday next week, this was mainly down to the new IR35 rules around disguised employees not paying employee and employer nation insurance. With all the uncertainty around how this was due to get implemented, most companies in the city decided to create a blanket ban on outside IR35 contractors forcing them to either find work elsewhere or operate under an umbrella company which you would in effect loose many of the benefits of contracting anyway.
Anyway, due to the scary shit going on with the corona-virus, the government has decided to postpone this till next year. That means I can continue to work as a contractor for my current company. I e-mailed the manager I effectively work for now (long boring story) the news and she came back within 20 mins asking if I can do another 4 weeks. 4 weeks isn't much but beggars can't be choosers. They're recruiting for a couple of pricing analysts / actuaries at the moment but this is understandably going to be a little more tricky. My boss only joined 3 weeks ago and will need help in doing her day job as she's the only member of her team.
It's not confirmed yet, but hopefully we can get a deal done before the end of the week.